Links House

 

 

Client: Mr & Mrs T. Warnock
Location: Dornoch, Sutherland
Project Conception: 2010 – 2013
Project Status: Complete
Area: 690 m2
Project Value: £2m

 

Maxwell & Company was commissioned by Clients who wished to purchase a period house beside the famous Royal Dornoch Golf Club in Sutherland with a vision to transform it into a small high quality hotel. Links House was designed by James Raeburn and built in 1843. It is Listed Grade ‘B’. In order to preserve the integrity and character of the building, the Architects developed a fire engineered strategy for the safety of occupants. This enabled the central staircase to be retained. On each side of it rooms were combined to create a spacious sitting room and a panelled library. Fine joinery was produced by experts working to the Architects details and this was integrated with period architectural salvage items sourced by Maxwell & Company. The house was extended to incorporate a new dining room in the form of a glass and timber orangery with an imposing stone fire and lantern rooflight. A mews annex was designed in a manner empathetic with the house and accommodates guest suites and manager’s flat. The architects also designed the landscaping and a sporting bothy for golf and fishing equipment.